the modern eatery

Hey guys! I know I haven't updated since forever - I finally had my huge exam last Saturday, but I've got a huge list of food and style posts lined up already since my first one on Harvest Espresso. From now on, I'll be updating much regularly - promise.

moderneatery
So when I heard that there was a new Japanese restaurant that had opened up in Fremantle, I  knew I just had to commit to the 50+ min car trip to try it out!  Earlier that week, I graduated from UWA with a Bachelor of Science, so when mum asked the family Whatsapp group for options on where to head out for a celebratory Saturday lunch, I definitely couldn't surpass the opportunity to suggest The Modern Eatery - and so I did. And oh - what a pleasantly great surprise to the taste buds!



OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
The interior was quite small, but all the more quaint and personable. As always however, it's a blessing in disguise when the next available table for us is one right by the window. Oh how I love natural lighting.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Window-sill seating that makes a lonely lunch, not so lonely anymore. 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Genmaicha Green Tea for four to quench the thirst of the hour trip. 

I knew what I wanted to order thanks to some prior research (and instastalking of food photos) earlier that week. Jason was our waiter that evening, and he was very accommodating and provided great service throughout the night. After jotting down my list of ordered dishes, he recommended the Crunchy Salad and Salmon Sashimi to try for our starters.

C R U N C H Y  S A L A D

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

A salad so simple, and yet so satisfying ($12)

S A L M O N  S A S H I M I

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Salmon Sashimi 5 pc.($9.50) - option to Aburi for $2.

F R Y  M E  T O  T H E  M O O N

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Deep Fried Roll with Cooked Salmon and Cream Cheese w/ Sweet Chilli Mayo & Sweet Soy ($15)

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Throughout the evening, the food came out one by one, but quite quickly - and towards the end we found it hard to fit all the dishes onto the one table (although I suppose that's partly my fault for wanting to order so much...)

S U M O  P L A T T E R  A ( 3 1 P C )

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA





Kamikaze Roll, California Roll, Sweet Potato Tempura Roll,
Veggie Roll, 3pc Salmon Nigiri, 3pc Tuna Nigiri, 3pc Hamachi Nigiri ($55).

B A B Y  D R A G O N

If you don't already know, I am in a very serious relationship with avocado and/or salmon. Now, majority of the time, they're seen together anyways (so maybe it's me third wheeling them? Oh dear.) Anyways, you can only begin to imagine how excited I was to see the generous serving of avo atop the unagi roll.





OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Unagi, Cucumber and Avocado on top w/ Unagi Sauce ($13). 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

#flatlay? more like #flatYAY!

S A L M O N  - O S H I  S U S H I

Ask me what my favourite dish was from the evening, and hands down, it would be this delightful pressed salmon oshi sushi. I can't begin to imagine a greater taste. Life actually stopped before my eyes. Jason filled us in with the not-so-secret secret that empowered this salmon sushi to be so delectably tasty. Want to know the secret too? Head on over to The Modern Eatery to ask him for yourself :)

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA





 Pressed Salmon w/ Aburi Sauce & Sweet Soy ($16)





OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I'm only kidding! The 'secret' is that TME source their salmon from New Zealand (as opposed to Tasmania), so it's fattier and has a richer, smoother texture. In addition, the salmon is lightly aburi, which explains the whole concept of it "melting in your mouth".

G R E E N  T E A  C R È M E  B R Û L É E

l'll admit we probably did order too much for a family of four, so we decided to try one Green Tea Crème Brûlée to share for dessert.

 OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I don't usually like Crème Brûlée as it reminds me too much of an 'eggy' taste, but I enjoyed the green tea flavoured fusion of this dish. Personally, I thought that the addition of the "aburi" - a method of light searing directly from the flame - might have thrown the texture of the dessert a bit off.

The top was a nice warm crispy layer of caramelised sugar, however as you make your way to the bottom, it's cold and doesn't taste particularly harmonised.

 OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Nevertheless, a great addition to the Freo food family, and I highly recommend trying it out!

The Modern Eatery

124 High Street, Fremantle WA.

MON: Closed
TUES: 11:30AM-2:30PM
WED/THURS: 11:30AM - 2.30PM, 5.30-8.30PM
FRI/SAT: 11:30AM - 2.30PM, 5.30-9.30PM
SUN: 11:30AM - 2.30PM, 5.30-8.30PM

Comments

Popular Posts